Spice Up Your Sunday Lunch.
Sunday lunch gatherings are at the heart of South African culture. Their importance cannot go unnoticed especially through such trying times where many are losing their loved ones. If you are looking for the perfect Sunday lunch recipe, then this recipe by Southern Living is for you?
Chicken-and-Wild Rice Skillet Casserole
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 (6-oz.) container uncooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped country ham or bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 8 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
- 4 skinned and boned chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb.)
- Garnishes: fresh flat-leaf parsley, sliced almonds
Oops! We cannot find any ingredients on sale near you. Do we have the correct zip code?Zip Code UPDATEor use the browser toFind Me
- Step 1Bring 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1 qt. water to a boil in a 3-qt. saucepan over high heat. Stir in rice, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 30 minutes.
- Step 2Meanwhile, melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and next 2 ingredients. Increase heat to medium, and cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1/4 tsp. each kosher salt and black pepper.
- Step 3Cook ham in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until beginning to brown. Stir in onion and next 2 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add sherry, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sherry is evaporated. Remove mixture from skillet.
- Step 4Preheat oven to 375°. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet. Cook chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat 4 minutes on each side or until brown. Remove skillet from heat; transfer chicken to a plate.
- Step 5Drain rice. Stir together rice, ham mixture, and sauce in skillet. Place chicken on top of rice mixture.
- Step 6Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and chicken is done. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.